Friday, March 05, 2010

Marriage Economics

I actually want to say that India is probably one of the most materialistic civilizations where prestige and status is defined by wealth and all other good stuffs. Materialism and superficiality are not new in my subcontinent. The levels are just being magnified now. Let me tell you the hidden truth, the idea that Indians are really spiritual people, is just marketing.

I am talking about Marriage Economics "A dissertation".

The costs of marriage are adding up day-by-day and becoming a multi-million Rupee (INR) celebration (does anyone really want to call this "insanity" a celebration). There are so many customs and traditions that the Indian's (yes, Hindu, Muslim, Punjabi's etc) take into account. Sagai (book a hall, buy gifts and sweets for other family), Mehandhi (hire mehendhiwalas, they don't come cheap), Ladies Night (book a hall, hire a DJ), Marriage (clothes for bride or groom, jewellery often 22 carat gold, hire of a venue or hall, hire of a DJ) and many more items such as the reception and gifting to guests.

I think there added pressure when a NRI get marry. They make wedding ultra expensive to show there relatives that, they are doing well financially. Waoooooo one more example of frivolity of Indians.

So why these idiots do it?
Absolutely correct "ego". Ego has a huge factor on the wish for big weddings
a) To show off one's alleged wealth and thinks horror of horrors, people will think that we "can't afford it".
b) So that people/community/"samaaj" don't think that one is too miserly to splash out on an expensive wedding for one's children.

My brother said, There's a lot of stuff people spend money at wedding that isn't about the core of a wedding, which is getting family and friends together and celebrating.
Ohh so you spent 10 lkh Rupee on a get-together party.... haha ha hahaa. Give me the gun, I wanna shoot myself.

My roome argued one day; Nirnay, it's the most special day a couple can have and so why shouldn't it be over the top and expensive. Sometimes it's the simple things in life that make you truly happy. Down the line in life, when you look back, you will be chrish to remember your wedding day.
ohhh ohhh now don't play game of emotional "atyachar", which you learned from "rotlu" Sharukh Khan. Let's talk in figures. Average couple is 26 years old, so the money would have roughly 40-50 years to grow. Couples who lay out the median cost of a wedding nearly INR 10,00,000 in 2009, actually missing:

Actually missing 37.5 Crore to 167.7 Crore in wealth accumulation over a lifetime by One Time Investment Plan from ICICI Prudential.
OR
Lets don't talk about private players... they assure you something, then suddenly ditch you. Let's take Post Office Saving, which doubles money every 7-8 years.
So 10,00,000 becomes 3.2 Crore in 40 yrs or 6.4 Crore in 50 yrs.
OR
Actually missing 4.5 Crore to 11.7 Crore in wealth accumulation over a lifetime by Jeevan Aastha policy from LIC. (LIC is Govt organization, it is fully owned by the Government of India)
(http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/retirement/roi-calculator.aspx)

My friend Anurag told me; laa-l-la-laa... Nirnay is an idiot, Nirnay is an idiot. Who will gonna calculate the Rate of Inflation.... laa-l-la-laa...
So my dear friend, Nirnay is not an idiot. Let's calculate money after Rate of Inflation. (I found data for last 30 years only from 1980 to 2009). Average inflation rate of last 30 years was 8.004% per annum with minimum 3.77% in 2001 and maximum 13.23 in 1998.

So, couples who lay out the median cost of a wedding nearly INR 10,00,000 in 2009:
After average inflation of 8%, actually missing, 16 Crore to 34 Crore via ICICI Prudential or 4 Crore to 5 Crore via Jeevan Aastha policy from LIC.
(http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator/compound_interest_calculator.htm)

Can you believe, Total number of marriages performed in India in 2007 are 1 crore and Total number of reported marriages through shaadi.com in 2007 is 7.2 lakh.

Now you know, your crazyness cost you and India between 5-150 Crores per marriage. And then multiply this to 7.2 lkh marriages from shaadi.com and count the zeros. (Just leave 1 crore marriage as of now ;) )

Indians you have to realise that you have to stop pretending and spending your life savings on proving you are just as good as others!

Well, to be honest with you, I still want to spend this much money on my marriage, but then instead of this holocaust and show-off, I just want to give a engagement ring cost more then 5 Lkh to my bridge, by diamond producer De Beers. From me..... A BIG no-no for foolhardiness and thoughtless 2-3 day wedding.

On my last serious note, along the commitment to "honour and cherish" we should add a new vow: "Before spending seven figures -- on a lavish party or anything else -- I promise to ponder whether the expense aligns with our deepest values and enhances or compromises our and countries financial well-being."

An Indian,
Nirnay Bansal

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:21 AM

    Only a true Baniya can write such an article :)) :: Karan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:17 AM

    I completely agree with you. Karan, it's not being baniya. Think about it people who do this are not only making there life tough but also making others parents feel miserable of not giving lot to their daugthers even though they love them a lot. No sense of spending so much money.. if you really wanna do any good donate it. You will get blessings of old and helpless people.Anyways after marriage you will be suffering.. atleast don't pay for it. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. From call by one of my friend: This 10 lkh Rs will give rotation of money in market and help poors who actually worked or get direct-undirect employment via your marriage.
    My answer: ohhh, let leave employment to govt and industrialist..ok..... If you really care for india and poor people, why don't you donate 50% of your total marriage expense to some orphanage home or like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:57 PM

    I agree with the fact that people spend too much money in the weddings...But I don't think it would do any good by speculating what you could have made out of it in 10 years to come if you had not spend that money in wedding and made an investment somewhere else.. I dont think you live and enjoy your life like that. I agree with Karan that only a baniya would do that..Half of the article is on financial analysis.

    And as far as donating the money is concerned, how much money has the author donated till now. I know the author very well and I am sure that he has not even done any voluntary work in his life. On one hand you talk about investing the money that you would usually spend on wedding to make millions and on the other hand you think you advice on donating the money...

    I think the problem of dowry which has deep roots in the indian subcontinent will no longer be practiced after a generation or two.... But I still dont think the amount of money they spend on wedding will be less...When people have money, they like to spend it..and not on other people but for themselves... I dont think there is anything wrong with that..It just human nature. Not only in India, the trend is similar all over the world. And if the people who want to spend money out of their reach just because someone they knew did, only they are to be blamed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy atleast you know I am 'baniya', but who are you 'Anonymous'.... I didn't differentiate religion/caste/creed in my blog but I guess you are a Racist.

    Yes, 'Half of the article is on financial analysis'.... do you want me to put, bollywood song or sex scene in Economics blog? I proved my figures with company name, mf/bond name, URL to calculate stuff.... Can you prove me wrong? (hey I used name of Sharakh khan in blog, that is for you 'Anonymous'..... hahahhaa)

    How do you know my dear friend that I never donated money or not done any voluntary work? I don't understand, why Indians like you, run away from there responsibilities whenever someone ask to donate or voluntary work? Do you mean, you do donate if I do, and you do voluntary work if I do? Then your name must be 'follower'....

    I was ready and well prepared to be Chopped, Hunted, Crushed or Hanged after writing this blog, because this is the truth of Indian's show-off and selfishness. Because every Rebellion, Krantikari (Revolutionary) ended his life in fighting for right things which civilians can't understand. People like you behave just like sheep, blindly following life. Ya, you(civilian) do also want to live good life, but don't want to get rid of your 'ego'.

    I am not stopping Ambani, Mittal or Tata to spend 10 lkh or 10 crore on marriage. God gave them and they should spend to make money move. But why you do it? Why you take Marriage loan and then payback it for next 3-5 yrs? Why you don't prepay your home mortgage and make yourself free from debt then wasting money in marriage?

    ohhh damn... I asked too many serious questions to you. If you are reading 'Anonymous', I challenged you with real world questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:50 AM

    I have sensed a great amount of rage in the author specially after my comment. I don't think it should even matter who I am. Its all about what i think.
    I don't want to go over the things that i have already mentioned. Another thing that i don't like about this writing is that the author has accepted that he is going to get married in the same way , but talks about things that need to be changed. Advice: You can only bring change when you are willing to change,,You can't just expect only other people to change.

    ReplyDelete